Fulton, Mo., May 5, 2021 – The #4 seeded Westminster College Blue Jay softball team enters the SLIAC Tournament having seen its offensive production on the rise. The Blue Jays have scored 32 runs in their last three games while pounding out 43 base hits. The Blue Jays will need that production as they will take on the #5 seeded Iowa Wesleyan University Tigers in the tournament quarterfinals today. Senior righthander Katie Price will be in the circle today for the Blue Jays after earning both wins in last weeks doubleheader sweep of regular season champion Fontbonne University. A win today would advance the Blue Jays to the SLIAC Final Four double elimination tournament starting tomorrow at Blue Jay Field.
When: May 5, 2021
Where: Fulton, Missouri
VS: Iowa Wesleyan University
Venue: Blue Jay Field
Time: 4:30 p.m.
Affiliations: Westminster and Iowa Wesleyan are NCAA Division III institutions and members of the St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SLIAC)
Live Video: HERE
Taking a look at the #4 Westminster College Blue Jays (15-17, 6-6 SLIAC):
- The Blue Jays are currently in 4th place in the SLIAC.
- The Blue Jays come into the games after sweeping a non-conference double header from Fontbonne University 13-7 and 11-10 in a walk off!
- The Blue Jays are led at the plate by senior Mackenzie Myers who is hitting .448, second best in the SLIAC, with 11 doubles, five home runs and 24 RBI. She also has an on base percentage of .468. Senior Brooke Laidley follows hitting .367 with eight doubles, a SLIAC leading seven home runs and 27 RBI's which is second in the SLIAC. Emily Esquivel is batting .320 with 17 RBI's. Janae Shirk is batting a team leading .452 in 18 games.
- Junior Laney Rosson leads the team and the SLIAC with 19 walks drawn and and she has an on base percentage of .412.
- Rosson leads the team in stolen bases with eight and Esquivel follows with seven.
- The Blue Jays are led on the mound by senior Katie Price (8-8) with a 5.55 ERA she has 47 strikeouts while allowing 21 walks in 94.2 inning. Her 8 wins leads the SLIAC.
- The Blue Jays come into the game batting .301 as a team with an on base percentage of .352. They are slugging .409 while having hit a SLIAC tops 15 home runs.
Taking a look at the #5 Iowa Wesleyan University Tigers (6-12, 4-4 SLIAC):
- Yessenia Muniz leads the Tigers hitting .382 with an on base percentage of .432 while scoring 9 runs. Alex Eyman is batting .378 with a team leading 9 RBI's. Kayla Ford checks in with a .343 batting average and Kara Kriegeris hitting .306 with a team eading 10 runs scored and 10 walks.
- Munoz leads the team with 3 stolen bases for a team that doesn't run much.
- Eyman leads the Tigers with 2 home runs.
- The Tigers are led on the mound by Morgan Christner who is 4-5 on the season in 11 appearances and nine starts. She has a 1.90 ERA in 62.2 innings. She has a SLIAC leading 79 strikeouts and has walked just 12 batters.
- The Tigers enter the game batting .240 as a team with an on base percentage of .320. The team is slugging .340 and has hit seven home runs.
FINAL REGULAR SEASON
SLIAC SOFTBALL STANDINGS